How to do a SWOT analysis?

SWOT analysis to evaluate your strengths, weakness, opportunities, and threats is very crucial in choosing a career.

SWOT will help you understand yourself better and make the right choice.

If you want to know what is SWOT, please refer How to choose a career

How to do SWOT Analysis?

Here we will show a sample SWOT analysis of an aspiring student Hari, to help you with the process.

Hari likes solving problems and thinking about a career in computer science and engineering.

Goal:

Evaluate the choice of computer science and engineering.

Strengths:

1. I’m very curious and always fascinated by how seamlessly I can play a video game with friends over the internet.
  2. I like solving problems, maths is my favourite subject and I’m very good at it.
  3. My friends think when it comes to science I’m natural.
  4. My parents think I’m very intuitive.
  5. I’m very focused on things I like to do.
  6. I’m detail-oriented.
  7. I’m imaginative and creative.

Weaknesses:

1. I’m not good at making friends, very selective.
  2. I get restless and anxious when some problems occur until it is solved.
  3. I don’t like asking for help from teachers, and lack the confidence to ask.
  4. I’m not good at prioritization.

Opportunities

1. I live in a big city that has many technology companies and good universities.
  2. My teacher suggested I pursue a career in the technology field.
  3. I have access to an online community that can answers questions related to my career and interests.

Threats:

1. I have been thinking about getting into an engineering Institute but heard getting selected to a good institute is very competitive
  2. Tough extract examination to get into a good institute.

As a result of performing this analysis, Hari knows that he has the required strengths to pursue a career in computer science and engineering; his curiosity, loves for maths, and problem-solving skills are well suited.
He also realized that he needs to work on mental health by keeping himself calm to sustain in a competitive field and need to improve his confidence level to achieve better results. He has also decided to further explore available job opportunities in the computer science and engineering domain. Also decided to enquire about career growth in different options.
He has also consulted with his teacher and online communities on how to prepare for getting a good rank in the selection exam to study engineering.